When I was a kid the earthy taste of root beer was one of my favorites. Unfortunately, what I was drinking wasn’t truly root beer but a sugary chemical concoction fraud.
Fast-forward, after years of finally educating myself on the medicinal qualities of real food — turns out root beer actually delivers many healthy benefits. When made properly, with its traditional real food ingredients, this bubbly beverage provides the following benefits:
- Vanilla: Stimulates the central nervous system, supports mental performance, anti-inflammatory and is a natural aphrodisiac.
- Licorice root: Contains glycyrrhizin, which helps with coughs, bronchitis, ulcers, constipation, and is a great adrenal adaptogen.
- Cinnamon: Lowers blood sugar and freshens breath.
- Ginger: Anti-inflammatory, supports healthy digestion, promotes bile flow and improves circulation.
These are just a few of the medicinal herbs used in a traditional root beer. I kept some of the originals and swapped out the ones who’s tastes where more neutral for upgraded versions, such as St. John’s Wart.
This herb is used in many root beer recipes and is widely used to treat depression and calm the mind. Instead, I added a prepared extract of Reishi by Jing Herbs, which is way more effective for calming the nervous system — plus it’s a powerful immuo-modulator and longevity tonic, also known as the Herb of Immortality.
In addition to using pure, organic ingredients and making a few swaps for improved health benefits, I also cut out the sugar — replacing it with pure 100% birch xylitol and the purest stevia on the market (no bitter aftertaste).
Cutting sugar from the diet is a fantastic way to keep the immune system strong and even keep a youthful appearance. Too much sugar can cause glycation — the cross-linking of protein and sugar molecules that causes wrinkles and deteriorating ligaments.
Lastly, I had to add in my favorite Bulletproof and Body Ecology ingredients. Why? Because their products are incredible. The BrainOctane oil is a must for anyone looking to improve mental focus, be it at a job or for creative work. This stuff rocks for musicians and writers like myself.
It’s also one of the best pre-workout’s I’ve found as it requires no digestion and fuels your body. I add in EcoBloom for a probiotic boost. This is a prebiotic fiber that works to increase the probiotic content of the kombucha itself and that in your own gut!
Probiotic Root Beer Kombucha Float
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 bottle of Live Root Beer Kombucha
- 1 frozen Avocado
- 1 scoop Vanilla Sunwarrior
- 1 scoop EcoBloom Prebiotic
- 1 tbsp BrainOctane Oil
- 1/2 tsp Upgraded Vanillamax
- 1 tsp Reishi
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground Licorice
- Stevia and Birch Xylitol to sweeten
Here’s how you make it:
Smoothies are usually pretty simple. Especially since we’re using a pre-bottled kombucha you don’t have to do much but empty the bottle’s contents into a Blendtec or other high-speed blender, then add the rest.
- In a Blendtec, add 1 bottle of Root Beer Kombucha
- Add frozen avocado (This requires some planning — chop and freeze your avocado in advance on this one to really get that ice-cream texture.)
- Add BrainOctane, powders and sweeteners.
- Blend then drink out of your favorite mug or mason jar!