Spring is amongst us and during this time of the year all of nature will be cleaning out. After the snow melted, the spring showers have come on slowly to cleanse away the winter debris and help spring bloom.
This cleansing that takes place in nature is by no means separate from us. In fact, we would all be wise to take a hot-tip from these cues. Spring is a great time to assist the body in cleaning out from the heaviness of winter. One of the best ways to do that is with an enzyme-rich whole food smoothie.
Blended smoothies are an incredible way to cleanse the body for all ages. As most know, raw vegetables contain valuable nutrients, enzymes and fiber that assist the body in detoxification. Since many have trouble digesting raw vegetables, a green smoothie is a superior way to obtain these elements.
In other words, smoothies prepared in a high-speed blender allow us to obtain all the healing benefits of raw vegetables in a delicious, easy-to-digest drinkable form. With a few simple tweaks to a basic green smoothie recipe, you can have a beautifying drink that cleanses and heals.
The Beauty Smoothie Secret
I’ve been adding two secret ingredient to my smoothies for years one of them: raw coconut kefir. If you haven’t heard of it, I highly recommended looking into it! I’ve written entire blogs about it and get all my clients on it – the benefits are endless.
Coconut Kefir is made from the fresh water of young coconuts. It’s hydrating, effervescently sweet, and it adds a probiotic punch that beautifies from the inside out. It’s trillions of healthy bacteria and enzymes pre-digest the smoothie, turning an already creamy smoothie to velvety liquid gold. But that’s not the only reason to use coconut kefir, to name a few benefits:
- It’s rich in electrolytes, which hydrate the skin, add sheen to the hair, and strengthen the teeth.
- A few ounces contain over 200 trillion CFU’s of beneficial bacteria, which balance the micro-biome, protecting us from harmful bacteria, viruses, and funguses.
- It improves digestion of all food, increasing energy level as a result.
- Cleanses the kidneys and liver, dramatically reducing the appearance of pores and skin blemishes.
- The sour and sweet taste of coconut kefir cuts sugar cravings dramatically. Sour is a taste many people don’t get enough of. The result is exaggerated sweet cravings. A shot of coconut kefir can balance the sugar crave immediately!
Secret Ingredient #2
The second secret ingredient I’ve been adding to my smoothies and hot liquids is grass-fed collagen. I add this for many reasons. To name a few…
- Quick tissue repair – Collagen hydrolysate provides the unique proteins that ensure the formation of elasticity and regeneration of skin. It requires essential no digestion, going directly into the blood steam where it starts building youthful skin!
- Greater flexibility and mobility – Collagen provides the essential nutrients of connective tissue and is much more bioavailable and absorbable than any supplement you’ll take.Watch out homemade bone broth, pure grass-fed collagen hydrolysate is much more versatile. Still drink your bone broth as it’s healing in many forms. However, this stuff can be used in desserts, smoothies and more.
- Renewed skin – Collagen actually aids hydrating the skin. This reduces the appearance of fine lines, stops the formation of deep wrinkles, and adds and maintains the suppleness of your skin. Healthy, gorgeous skin starts from within, in my opinion grass-fed collagen is one of the most superior foods to take for maintaining physical beauty.
- Satisfies hunger – Upgraded Collagen is 97% pure protein. It’s important to consume bio-available sources of protein in each meal to not just grow thick locks and have wrinkle-free skin, it regulates hunger hormones and keeps us stable. Sometimes a green smoothie isn’t enough for me, I digest quickly and veggies just don’t cut it. By adding some pure protein I feel much more satisfied and still very light!
- Metabolic – For someone like me who burns up food quickly it’s easy for me to lose weight, unless I’m eating a moderately protein rich diet. I love Collagen because it’s pro-metabolic, meaning it builds muscle and keeps the body out of the catabolic effects from stress, be it from physical activity or heavy thinking.
- Reverse and slow aging – As we age, we lose skin elasticity and our body essential decays and breaks down on all levels. Collagen replaces the vital proteins that breakdown from over time. Diet is one of the most anti-aging tools we have! If you’re trying to stay young then collagen is a must.
- Deep Sleep – This is a new experiment I’ve been trying and it really helps. One of my favorite ways to take collagen is in a sugar-free dessert before bed. The abundance of glycine and magnesium (plus the healthy fat in my recipes) help deepen sleep, provides arginine to stimulate growth hormone release, and provides nutrients necessary to perform tissue repair while sleeping.
- Good mood food – Upgraded Collagen has tons of glycine, which is an amino acid necessary for neurotransmitter function.
For this recipe you will need the hydrolyzed form of collagen. That’s because it can be mixed into cool liquids and still completely bioavailable. Grass-fed gelatin provides collagen but must be used in hot liquids to get the full use of it. My personal favorite is Bulletproof’s Upgraded Collagen.
Probiotic Beauty Smoothie
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup spring water
- 1 cup raw coconut kefir (This is a magical probiotic tonic that heals the digestive system at the root. You can purchase this or make it yourself very simply by mixing a Kefir Starter into raw coconut water and letting sit on the counter overnight.)
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed collagen
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 head of green/red leaf lettuce
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A few sprigs of parsley or cilantro
- Stevia to sweeten *optional
Here’s how you make it:
Remove core from lettuce and roughly chop cucumber and celery – just enough to pack all ingredients in nicely. Then open avocado to remove seed and skin. Lastly, juice lemon through a strainer to discard seeds.
In a Blendtec, first pour in liquids ingredients, add the chopped veggies next and finally press the smoothie button. If your Blendtec doesn’t feature a smoothie button, blend on Medium Low or Medium for 10 seconds, then Medium High or High for 30 seconds, slowly working your way up the speeds.
Serve in your favorite glass mason jars and feel yourself becoming more beautiful with each sip! Although essentially predigested, remember, to chew your liquids!