Getting sweet treats without the sugar isn’t always an easy task. It takes knowing the delicate sweetness of nature’s foods and preparing them with an alchemists touch. It’s true that a healthy diet does not have to be one of restriction. There are plenty of sweet tastes in natural foods — cranberries are one of those foods.
These sweet and sour fruits are fantastic for many reasons and I definitely recommend loading up on them when you can, heres why:
- Brain Function- Cranberries are rich in a flavonoid known as Anthocyanin. These compounds are known to be associated with many health benefits, brain function being one of them. Elizabeth Devore, ScD, an associate epidemiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a professor at Harvard Medical School in Boston states, “These compounds, found almost exclusively in berries, are known to cross the blood-brain barrier and locate in learning and memory centers in the brain.
- Ideal Body Composition- Low in sugar, rich in fiber and phytonutrients, berries of all types are true superfoods. The ratio of nutritional content to calories is far greater than most food. Berries are one of the very special foods that pack so much nutritional punch for such little “”. Though initially they might not fill you up in the same way as fat will; over time, the nutritional density will improve your metabolic function by filling nutritional gaps.
- Urinary Tract Health- Cranberries have been totted as “the worlds healthiest food” many times over and for good reason. They are rich in anti-cancerous compounds and proanthocyanidins, which are known to prevent urinary tract infections. The constituents in cranberries act as a barrier to bacteria that might otherwise latch on to the urinary tract lining. Though not many people think twice about the luxury of a good, healthy pee (until they’re pissing fire that is) keeping these less admirable parts of the body in top shape is a smart move. Berries and cranberries especially will do just that.
- Anti-Inflammatory- Cranberries contain phytonutrients that show to lower the risk of chronic and unwanted inflammation. Cranberries reduce the excessive levels of inlammation around gums and teeth by eliminating the overproduction of cytokines. A moleucule and pro-inflammatory that tells our cells to mount to an inflammatory response. The phytonutrients in cranberries reduce this inflammatory response by inhibiting the activity the enzymes that produce cytokines. Dietary consumption of cranberry has also been shown to reduce the risk of chronic, unwanted inflammation in the stomach, large intestine and cardiovascular system.
Though cranberries are technically out of season right now, they are a refreshing and hydrating food great for the spring and summer time. Best of all, you don’t technically need fresh cranberries for this recipe, you can use the cranberry infused kombucha.
CranRaspberry Kombucha Sorbet
Other than being loaded with anti-aging, beautifying and healthy berries, this sorbet has a base of a bubbly fermented kombucha. I am a big advocate of fermented foods as they are some of the most medicinal foods in existence. Here’s a few short benefits of kombucha:
- liver detoxification
- improved pancreas function
- increased energy
- better digestion
- improved mood (helps with anxiety/depression)
- balances gut-bacteria and yeast (great for Candida)
- nutrient assimilation
- weight management
Enough talk, here’s what you’ll need for this creamy, sweet and healthy sorbet:
- 1 bottle GT’s Cranberry Kombucha (Or 16 oz. of your own homemade kombucha)
- 1 cup of frozen, organic raspberries or mixed berries
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 leaf of fresh aloe (inner filet)
- Stevia (to taste)
Filleting the aloe leaf will be the only tricky part to this recipe. It’s’ no more complicated than chopping off a good hunk of fresh aloe, slicing it in half then scooping the gooey meat out with a spoon. If you need to, search for a video on YouTube. From there, pour in your kombucha slowly into a Blendtec or high-speed blender. Add the rest of the ingredients, blend until smooth and boom! A sugar-free, detoxifying, gut healing, anti-aging super sorbet that tastes like pure goodness.